Pages

Tuesday 19 July 2011

July so far

Well since the tyranny discipline of Juneathon ended I've completely stopped blogging.  It felt  like being on school holidays when I didn't have to do that every day! However, I have not stopped the running, and am following Jeff Galloway's Half Marathon training scheme.  I'm tweaking it a little bit as I don't HAVE to do the long run on a Sunday because my time is my own, and so I prefer to do it on Monday or Tuesday, but overall I'm doing what Jeff says and feeling a little bit more confident about the HM in September.

So far in July I've run 10k again for the first time since April 2010, I've gone out with a Running Club (Leighton Fun runners) , I've done my first Parkrun, at Milton Keynes, in the pouring rain, but it was still quite fun, and today I've run my furthest ever distance.  Unfortunately, it wasn't as far as I had planned.

I use Runkeeper with my iPhone and I love it.  I've used it since I started running and  wouldn't have got this far (literally) without it, I owe the Runkeeper people a lot.   I love looking at where I've been and checking my stats.  HOWEVER, I hate to say, but Runkeeper has been letting me down a lot lately.  It cut off during my 5k at Woburn Abbey, it cut off during my first ever Club run, and today it went mental and decided that I'd run 18k, which I knew I hadn't, but I didn't know how far I had run, and my estimate was well out.  I was supposed to do 8 miles according to Jeff, but I ended up only doing 7.1.  More annoying is that I could have gone on, I wasn't dying at the end of it and if I'd known that I needed another mile I'd have done it.

SO, I've decided to invest in a Garmin.  Bit of a price difference between £5.99 Runkeeper, and £300 Garmin, but if I'm going to keep this running lark going, for me, my distances and statistics are really important.

Venice in a week and a bit!!  V. excited.  Not going to run in Venice because it'll be too hot but a few days off won't hurt!

BTW - No blisters!!! 1000 mile socks are brilliant!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I've just read your "Why I run" page. Very touching story. You deserve to treat yourself to that Garmin. Enjoy Venice - it's a beautiful city (and really not designed with runners in mind!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh let me know how it compares - the other bloke commenting on my fb yesterday was my brother and he LOVES runkeeper!! I might borrow a friends and see how it compares...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Katie.
    Carla, read next post for details.

    ReplyDelete